Scoliosis Care in Vienna, Virginia (VA)
Whole Body Health Chiropractic Offers Non-Invasive Scoliosis Support.
Scoliosis is a condition that many children develop in their teenage years. It is unknown what causes scoliosis 80% of the time, but most cases are mild and can be managed with conservative, non-invasive care. There are many factors that can determine if a child has mild or severe scoliosis. The most common way for parents to know whether their child needs support would be through a physical examination and with X-rays. Some may be required to wear a brace to help contain and possibly correct the abnormal curvature, and others might require surgery in order to address a severely curved spine.
At Whole Body Health, we hope to correct scoliosis without surgery whenever possible.
- First, we carefully diagnose the condition after a thorough consultation, physical examination, range of motion testing, and digital x-ray analysis.
- Next, we establish the type of scoliosis and determine the required plan of care.
- Then, we give various chiropractic adjustments to release areas of restriction in the spine, alleviate pain, optimize range of motion, and strengthen nerve and muscle connections to correct posture.
- Finally, we recommend therapies and exercises to further aid in the strengthening and healing process.
Visit our chiropractic clinic in Vienna, and live without limits today!
Scoliosis is a chronic condition characterized by an abnormal curvature of the spine. It normally affects people of all ages, although it is more prevalent in teens. As per studies and research, about 3% of the global population will experience scoliosis in their lives.
Scoliosis severity is usually measured in degrees of curvature and graded on a scale from one to 10, with one being the mildest and ten being the most severe. However, the curve may only be evident when viewed from the back or sideways.
When left alone, scoliosis can cause back pain, muscle spasms, weakness, fatigue, and even breathing difficulties in patients of all ages. It can also interfere with growth and skeletal development in teens.
It can often be discovered during a routine physical examination by a doctor. However, here are some key signs you should always be on the lookout as a parent, especially of children before or during growth spurts.
- A sideways “S” or “C” shape in their torso when viewed from behind.
- An uneven shoulder line when viewed from the side.
- One shoulder is higher than the other when viewed straight on
- A more prominent hip on one side than the other
Chiropractic Diagnosis and Care of Scoliosis
Chiropractic diagnosis of scoliosis is based on a thorough history and physical examination. The exam will include:
- Postural evaluation to determine whether your spine is in alignment
- Any other health issues contributing to the scoliosis
- The chiropractor will also check your spine’s range of motion and muscle strength.
- They will also examine the vertebrae, muscles, ligaments, and tendons around the spine to diagnose the curvature. X-rays may also come into play in some cases, and a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan or CT scan.
Chiropractic care for scoliosis will restore normal spinal curvature and improve overall health through various spinal adjustments. Chiropractors, in most cases, will apply techniques like;
- Spinal Adjustments – It involves using the hands to gently move the vertebrae back into position which takes the pressure off damaged and irritated nerves to relieve pain.
- Therapeutic Exercises -These exercises are tailored to your specific healing needs yet aimed at strengthening your muscles while improving the healing process.
- Corrective Spinal Traction – Utilizing advanced spinal analysis Dr. Gustitus will create a specific traction setup to help you restore areas of lost spinal curvature and release tension on stretched and irritated nerves.
- Whole Body Vibration – This chiropractic care method promotes a stronger more balanced spine, increased core strength, and better brain-body awareness thus allowing you to maintain a better position of your body naturally.
Experiencing Scoliosis? Meet Our Chiropractor
Whether you’re experiencing scoliosis or any other chronic condition, we invite you to stop at Whole Body Health for a consultation. Through a series of techniques, including spinal adjustments, corrective spinal traction, soft tissue therapy, therapeutic exercises, our chiropractor in Vienna, VA, will help you with non-invasive techniques to optimize your spinal curvature.
At Whole Body Health, we offer corrective chiropractic care for pain relief, degenerative joint, muscle and nerve conditions, and functional medicine for whole body wellness. Additionally, we offer affordable wellness care plans for those looking to continue to remain healthy once their problem is corrected. Book an appointment with us today!
Make whole body health a priority. Schedule your INITIAL Consultation Today.
Call (571) 378-0108 or GET STARTED